Saturday, August 9, 2008

What happened to the national anthem???

What in the world happened to our national anthem at the Olympics tonight?

Well, I guess it's "this morning" out in Beijing, but it's still only 11pm here (EST). We stayed up late to watch Phelps win (go USA!) in the 400IM, and then made it a point to watch the medal ceremony. When we heard the opening notes of the "Star Spangled Banner", my husband and I both looked at each other - something didn't sound right. Then the opening refrain repeated (you could see the confusion on Mama Phelps' face - I looked the same way). And then the unthinkable: at "o'er the land of the-", the song STOPPED.

That's right, the "Star Spangled Banner" got cut off at an Olympics medal ceremony.

I am, to say the least, horribly shocked. I might also be a bit offended - I haven't decided yet. Points to Phelps and Lochte, as they both handled the situation with grace. Same goes for the Phelps family and Bush delegation.

Still, what happened??

I rewound the footage (thanks to my trusty DVR) back to the beginning of the song. Sounds like someone had two tracks playing at once, then decided on just one. But that still doesn't explain why the song cut off.

And am I being overly paranoid about the fact that the song just happened to cut off at "free"?

Things that make you go "hmmmmm....."

No comments: