Monday, August 11, 2008

Day off

Apparently, I bake on my days off.

No, seriously - I have been a baking fool today.

For whatever reason, I've been ridiculously inspired to bake today. I found a recipe last week for Mocha Rum Cake, and it is now cooling on my counter (and smells divine). More later on how it turns out (will add rum glaze eventually).

It occurred to me that I couldn't take the mocha rum cake to work. First of all, I don't have a convenient way to transport it, as it's almost a mile from the parking lot to my office. Second, if I make a baked item with rum in it (especially for the first time) and don't let my hubby have some, I may find some divorce papers on my desk. You can't take a slice out of a bundt cake and then try to take the rest to work - that just isn't kosher. So since I am out of options regarding the cake, I guess it's a good thing I went to Whole Foods today.

While I was at Whole Foods buying bread flour to make chocolate chip cookies (forgot the unsalted butter though, so I'm SOL there), I grabbed a 2lb container of some awesome looking blueberries. What do you do with a 2lb container of plump blueberries? Apparently, I make Blueberry Crumb Bars. There is currently a 9x13in pan of these babies in my oven, and boy, does my kitchen smell yummy.

Oh, and did I mention the 6.5lb Boston pork butt that's slow cookin' in my crock pot? Yay for pulled pork!!

It is a good day off. :D

No comments: